Friday, March 30, 2007

everything in it's right place

We're going back to Kansas! In June, Nathan and I are meeting Mom and Dad to visit Zak in Lawrence! I got plane tickets yesterday. Nathan and I have never flown together before, so I am very excited!

A few updates. I did not go to Weight Watchers yesterday. After looking at my schedule, it's just not realistic right now to expect that I'd be able to get off work 30 minutes early once a week. But my plan is to drive into Lexington in the morning for a meeting. I figure that I can handle Saturday mornings, or when we go home do a different morning during the week. And then when we switch to summer hours, I'll be able to go to the Thursday evening meetings with Courtney and Katie.

I got The Beck Diet Solution in the mail today, and I think I'm going to really enjoy it. The author wrote several of my grad school textbooks, so she's not a quack or a diet guru, she's a therapist in a school of therapy that I respect and believe in. It's a 42 day program, and today was day 1 (I think it may also be day 2 and day 3, based on things I have read). So far, though, I have only done the homework for day 1. Today I am supposed to identify reasons I want to be thin. And it works like my mindset when I started this blog. I am just identifying who I want to be and then practicing until I become that person. So the advantages to being thin are as follows:

  1. I will be healthier.
  2. Nathan will be proud of me.
  3. It will be easier for us to get pregnant.
  4. I will have fewer skin issues (as a byproduct of eating better, not being thin itself).
  5. I will feel more in control.
  6. I will feel that I accomplished something.
  7. I will be able to be more physically active.
  8. I will be able to choose clothes that look good, not clothes that just fit.
  9. I will be able to listen to music when I run.
  10. I will look better.
  11. I will like myself more.
  12. I will be less self-critical.
  13. I will feel better about my body.
  14. I will feel better in my body.
  15. I will be a positive influence on others.
  16. I will care for the body God has given me.

That's where I am today. I am going to check out day 2 and possibly day 3 before I go to bed. I'm not trying to rush things, but I think the therapist in me has a pretty good handle on all the cognitive behavioral stuff she's introducing in the first few days. I am excited. I feel like I have found a real resource in this book.

I downloaded a sermon today that I'm really excited to listen to. Mars Hill (the one in Grand Rapids this time) puts the occassional podcast on iTunes that looks at the spiritual implications in movies (past movies including X-Men 3 and others that I haven't seen). The most recent one? Talledega Nights. I'm going to listen to it when I do dishes later. I'll let you know.

We watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at work today with the kids (gotta love Fun Day!). I have seen the movie so many times, but didn't realize that I'd be able to lead a very productive group about the movie. The dangers of being greedy, gluttonous, uber-competitive and television-addicted are presented in a funny but meaningful way. So is the importance of family. Definitely a movie to check out for morals and the beauty that is Johnny Depp.

Nate's birthday is next week and he doesn't know what he wants. And, for once, I have no idea either. Anyone able to help? Ideas for a red-headed, mandolin-playing, librarian-to-be? Please?

Wish me luck as I weigh in tomorrow morning!

1 comments:

Every other obese guy out there probably said...

Hey Krissie. I want to thank you for your support on my blog. I need it as does everyone fightin the fight. I am waiting for a a friend of mine to bring me a a program from his meetings called Step One. He is a recovering substance abuser, and completed this program. It does a lot of what you seem to be doing like looking at yourself from a therapeutic standpoint and figuring out how your problems effect you and your life and then setting goals to overcome them. It's worked for him and his family so far. He is on the road to earning his 90 day clean badge. Thanks again for writing me, and please continue if you like. I would love to build as much a support system as I can. Oh, by the way, have you looked into the online program for WW. It's what I do.