Sunday, March 30, 2008

it was magic at first when they spoke without sound

I have made a conscious effort to avoid two things on this blog.

1) My occassional use of the eff-dash-dash-dash word.
2) Any 3-letter abbreviation. No offense to those of you who use them, I just can't pull them off.)

But, in honor of our trip to one of the whole foods stores, I only have one thing to say.

WTF?

You see this picture?

A can of beans, a can of artichokes, ball of mozzarella, almond butter, currants, cranberries, almonds, asparagus, sunflower seeds, goat cheese, tortellini, spinach, dressing, 3 apples, 7 bananas, cherry tomatoes, and 4 Clif bars? $103.92.

So we freak out a little on the way to the car. I mean, I got really angry. I composed this whole blog in my head about reasons poor people are fat and unhealthy.

Only when I got the receipt out to type the total here did I realize that there is a $40.20 charge called "shipping key." Yeah. So we were overcharged $40. That doesn't make it as bad, since I had figured $60 in my head while we were shopping. (I'm good at that! I get it from my mom.)

So a post I had originally started as a rant about whole food stores has ended up being a post to remind you to check your receipts. Preferably before you leave the parking lot. 'Cause now we've got to trek back across town.

Happy Sunday night. (There is a lot of sarcasm in that statement. But I'm staying away from any word that starts with F.)

4 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

LOL You had ME upset! I kept looking at the picture and wondering if it was the asparagus that put you over the top. Glad it turned out to be a simple error.

But you are definitely on track with the problems faced in lower income communities--it's not just the cost, it's also the availability of fresh, healthy foods at many of the grocery stores in those areas. Shame on us.

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

WOW! We were about to brawl because Whole Foods is like my most favoritest store in the entire world. I can't believe you got overcharged, but big props to you for catching the mistake!

Anonymous said...

I always check my receipts. You wouldn't believe how many trips I've saved myself. You know, I've been wondering for some time why it costs so much MORE to eat healthier. Every time you order something healthy on a menu, it is twice as small and cost twice as much. What's up with that? It's like if you buy fattening unhealthy meals or you buy healthy better for you meals...you wind up paying more in the long run for either of them. Bad food choices will make you pay more in the long run when it comes to your health and well being. Good healthy meals will make you pay more out of your old pocketbook. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm???

Sarah said...

I don't understand what the $40 was for?!