Thursday, January 17, 2008

time on my hands should be time spent with you

You know what? I'm done.

It started with the million blogs I have been reading today. So many people are so down on themselves. I keep reading such degrading comments. "I can't do anything right." "I'm lazy." "I'm never going to meet my goal." "Why do I even try?"

And then I take a shower (after a very exhausting gym session, mind you). I put on my favorite grey lounge pants and my favorite green t-shirt, and I get pissed. I've busted my arse. And I don't see any difference in the way I look. Why do I even try?

I'm one of these self-defeating people myself.

And then I got angry.

I am who I say I am. If I say I'm fat and lazy...Guess what? I'm fat and lazy. If a friend called me the names I call myself, she would no longer be my friend. (And I'd try very hard not to call names back.) I would cut my husband off if he spoke any of the words I say to myself. No wonder I have a hard time getting past my fat. I can be mean and nasty.

If I say that I'm getting my life together and my new life is one of health, then I am a healthy person. That's it. No excuses. No justifications. No arguments. I am who I am, and I am radically different than I was several weeks ago. Screw the scale. Screw the exercise bike. Screw the voices in my head. I LOVE ME and I AM KICKING IT!

Amen.

And to further my Kicking Ass attitude, I am very strongly encouraging you to do the same. We need lists. We need positive things to remind ourselves of when we are down on ourselves. So this is my challenge to you. Complete the list on your blog, leave me a comment, and I will link you. I will be listing my answers in my blog later today with my food pictures.

Here we go!

THE ONLY RULE: No backhanded compliments. No "I like my eyes 'cause they distract from my incredibly large ass." Only positives.

The "I LOVE ME" List

1. What do you absolutely love about your body?

2. When did you surprise yourself with your physical strength?

3. When were you braver than you ever thought you could be?

4. When did your self-control blow you away?

5. What is your proudest moment ever?

6. When was the last time you felt absolutely beautiful?

7. Why do you deserve to meet your goals?

Come on, ladies. Let's get off the pity pot and be better because we deserve it!

19 comments:

Hanlie said...

Amen sister! Wow, that was some post!

I'm off to bed now (it's 10 pm here), but will do this tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

marie said...

You're an amazing woman and you should love yourself, grey lounge pants and all :)

check me tomorrow - i'll try out your list.

*mwah*

Felicia said...

This was an awesome post!!! I did the questions. LOVED IT! I am so with you on the "Kicking Ass Attitude"!

Have a WONDERFUL day!
*huggles*
=0)

Teale said...

Great post, I'll be doing this in just a couple minutes!

Diana Swallow said...

This is an amazing post! I completely agree with you...attitude is EVERYTHING in this journey, we wouldn't/shouldn't tolerate such negatives from a friend and we shouldn't tolerate them from ourselves. I hope everyone takes the time to think about this list and fills it out!

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

This is one of the best entries I've ever seen in blogland. Absolutely fantastic.

Heather said...

everything you wrote is so true! I will have to write that list for myself.

Suz said...

I just filled out the list on my blog. Thanks. It was nice to be positive about myself. You are really doing great! Your eating and exercise are awesome! You can tell you are really committed to this.

Trisaratops said...

Oh, you are so brilliant. I'm doing it now! And you are so right. Thank you! PS - thank you for complimenting me in my dress! And I would happily give it to you - but it is TOO BIG for you - Hah! Isn't that wonderful?

Nikki said...

This is a great post! Just what I needed today! Thanks. I will do the list, too!

Swizzlepop said...

That has got to be one of the best posts yet! I loved it. Thank you, it really made me think about some stuff and now I feel great AND beautiful :).

Mine is here http://blogs.weightwatchen.com/swizzlepop/2008/01/18/beauty/

EVA said...

i love this! um...also kinda scared that i have to think really hard for answers...i guess all the more reason to do it. you hit the nail right on the head!!! i havent even written an entry in my blog because every draft comes out sounding so...pathetic? depressing? thanks for this awesome idea!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely doing this! Thanks for this and that Kick Butt attitude. I have been following your blog for awhile and wanted to say keep it up! You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog, but I think I came on the best day (and now, I'll come more often............:)

I did answer your questions and post them on my blog.

Thanks for the idea.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Am a first timer here..absoultely loved your post...I did the questions on my blog....superb idea.

Tina said...

Wow, I hadn't read this post but first, thanks for the link love and second (but should be first) thanks for an amazing post. I liked what you said about "if one of my friends called me the names.." That's so true. Why can't we be gentle, forgiving, nice and accepting of ourselves? Why is positive self talk so difficult sometimes! Thanks again.. you're an amazing woman. And you take WONDERFUL food pics.. I loved that one of the bullseye toast.. never saw such a thing!

Fairy Princess said...

I did it! I finally did it! http://www.ready2shrink.blogspot.com/

dammitrenee said...

brilliant post! thank you!! I've done my list :)

Renee

Anonymous said...

List is done on my blog! Thanks for the kick in the booty!