Wednesday, June 6, 2007

after the storm all the colors came out

I've done it! The purging of stuff has officially begun!

My initial goal was to keep only 5 bags. Once I began pulling bag after bag after bag out of my closet, I realized this goal was outrageous. There were that many that I wanted to keep for purely sentimental and not practical reasons. So I reverted to my overall goal: to purge myself of 2/3 of my belongings. In this case, 48 bags would be narrowed down to 16. (Actually, it was 18. I just now realized that I can't divide in my head while stressed about getting rid of bags. With my misguided math, I was keeping 18 bags, and that is what I did. I stand by that decision.)

My process looked like this: I kept 2 bags that have my name or initials on them. My LLBean backpack my dad sent me my freshman year of college because I was carrying one of his that he wanted back. The other was a bridesmaid's gift from my brother's wedding. Then I picked bags I need/may need for travel: my huge (and no longer produced) navy blue Vera Bradley duffel and 2 large "Life is Good" bags that have sentimental value because each was bought in one of my two favorite places ever (one at Mast General Store in Asheville, NC and the other at Kitty Hawk Kites in Nags Head, NC). Then I decided, for necessity only, to keep my mesh Old Navy bag for trips to the beach. Unhappy that it took up an important space, but it was for necessity. Then 2 bags (small pink duffel and green flowered bag, both Vera Bradley) for weekend travel and gym bags. Then I had 10 left to play with, struggling to determine my 10 favorites. I was very surprised that I picked many Vera bags over the two Dooneys I've had for years. I kept two small dressy ones, and my all time favorite, a blue bag with orange flowers that Nathan got me for Valentine's Day last year.

I also cleaned out from under the bathroom sink and the multiple drawers that are mine. I am freeing myself of all those crazy Clinique free gift bags and the crap that comes in them. I've used all the good stuff by now anyway. I decided to hold on to all my hair supplies just in case I ever decide to grow my hair back out again. Straighteners aren't cheap!

Eating was out of control today. Work was a beast. I assume that those two things are related. I had a Starbucks drink and mini-muffins, ravioli, another Starbucks drink and 1 hostess cupcake, toast with strawberry jelly, and spaghetti. (The spaghetti was awesome, though. I just put cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, and some Little Caesar's Spice Packs in some foil and Nate grilled it until everything was soft then we put it over spaghetti. It rocked.) Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Work wise and food wise. 6 more days of this job! Yippee!!

My co-worker led group therapy today (with 10 kids from 7-11) and he talked about the difference between wants and needs. The kids talked about it in terms of our lives, and then we looked at pictures from Africa and discussed wants and needs in their lives. It was a great group, and I felt like it also applied to me and this purging of stuff I am doing. I am freeing myself of my wants, or at least 2/3s of them. It feels good.

The weight is next!

REMEMBER! Register for the contest! At stake is a mix CD from me of remakes (Nickel Creek covering "Toxic" by Brittney Spears is the only hint I'll give!) and 2 bonus items that are not junk that I am getting rid of. Things that I don't want to throw away or give to strangers. Leave a comment on this post.

I'll leave you with a cartoon I got from Nathan today that made me laugh out loud.



5 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow! You sure were busy!!! Want to come help me clean out my stuff? LOL!

marie said...

oh

my

sweet

lord

feel free to send me any pretty bags you don't want :)

Lily T said...

Getting rid of clutter is a life long process. I’m definitely struggling with my own stuff.

Congrats on your achievement!

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

Wow! I think you've inspired me to do my own little purge of stuff. Why not, right? I think I'll start on the bathroom cabinet this weekend...

Mindy said...

The spaghetti sounds great. The sauce I made this weekend was crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and fresh basil from my little herb bed. I would love your grilled method. Hubby won't eat tomatoes unless they are cooked down to mush so we probably would run out of propane before we could get sauce he would like on the grill. I might try it though!