Monday, May 28, 2007

if I could shimmy like my Sister Kate

Welcome back to Kentucky for me!

We had a great weekend! We didn't get the house, but that is really okay. It sold for way above what we were wanting to pay, especially considering our current house isn't even up for sale yet. We left with a very good feeling about it, even though several other young couples were also there and appeared more disappointed. The search will continue!

A little bit of a downer: I think our next door neighbor is putting her house up for sale as well. There are just a lot of beautification activities going on around the exterior of the house. With their recent family circumstances, a sale is a good assumption. So the house right next door, which is almost exactly our house, will be for sale at the same time as ours. Big groan.

But that will take care of itself. More descriptions of the weekend. And my need to be accountable about how I totally stuffed my face all weekend.
















After the auction, we stopped at Panera where I had a points-ghastly IC Mocha and a bagel. We needed the sustenance for our 4.5 hour car trip. We drove through a lot of Kentucky into the mountains of Tennessee to visit Nate's brother and our new Sister-In-Law, Kim. We stopped at a scenic overlook in Bean Station, Tennessee, partially to take in the sights and partially to switch drivers. We got a nice shot of the mountains behind our big melons.
















We got to their apartment and hung out for a while. We ended up eating at a restaurant called Cootie Brown's. It was amazing food in a really cool atmosphere without a high price. I had a tuna steak and some roasted sweet potatoes. Then we split a slice of Key Lime Pie. It was awesome. Then it was back to the apartment for many rounds of Apples to Apples. Highly recommended. We laughed a lot.
















Sunday was Asheville! It only took us about an hour to get there. Oh, but we stopped at Pal's where I had a sausage bisuit and some cheddar hash rounds. I hate to say this, but I love grease. Oh well. We drove into Asheville and walked around town. We spent the most time in our favorite bookstore, Malaprop's. (We barely missed Blanche!) I bought some cool art at Woolworth's and Kim found a violin made of cigar boxes. She played some pretty music. If she would have taken it out on the street, she could have earned us some lunch money.

Ah, lunch. Salsa's is one of our favorite spots. Nate had a Cuban pork empanada and I had some lamb-goat cheese-avacado-sundried tomato empanada. The best meal I've had in a long time. And less than $20 including tip for the two of us. Yummy.

We got really bummed that our usual coffee bus was closed, but we found a really cool new place, the Dripolator Coffee House. Mine was actually too sweet and I didn't finish it (gasp!). I did, however, have a piece of thawed wedding cake to go along with our additional rounds of the apple game once we got back to the apartment.

Today was just a traveling day. Driving for 5ish hours. With a stop at Burger King, WalMart to get fabric to recreate some aprons I saw at Dulce Vida, and then pineapple pizza when we got home. So it's close to bedtime for me.

Maybe I hope that seeing my terrible habits in print will somehow motivate me. That's what I need to happen. We'll see.

4 comments:

Sara Darrah said...

Krissie-
Sorry I haven't commented on your blog before. I do read it often and enjoy your comments on mine. I'm glad you had a good weekend. We traveled to Indiana for a family reunion. I did not eat well either. I am doing well so far today, and darn proud of it! :)
Sara

Bye! said...

wow, so much has been happening since I last dropped by! New houses, trips away and fun galore! you lucky gal. :) I've been MIA due to a bunged up back, trips away to visit scotts mum and the of course, we've been having our own renovations done. It's a busy time here! Anyways thought I would pop in and say g'day... have a good one!

Amy said...

What a great vacation you had... We're taking a mini road trip ourselves and CANNNOT WAIT.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the food choices. Vacations are ALL about good company, good times and GREAT FOOD! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great road trip! And I am glad you aren't too upset by the house, I am sure something more perfect will come along for you!

And I was curious how did you know which path to choose (school-wise)? especially now that you don't regret it... Was it the future job that got you, the money, or just the school? Haha.. so many factors that make it a hard decision... (thanks for commenting, I appreciate knowing I am not the only one who has been here)