Monday, April 2, 2007

running to stand still

I've made a decision that pains me greatly. Partially because I am in pain. I have decided to put off this running thing for 25 pounds. I ran at the park in Danville today, and had a lot of difficulty. I made the first half of the runs with relative ease. I was feeling really good. But then I started to lose feeling in my left foot, but I ran through it. Then I got an impressive cramp in the left leg. That's been two hours ago, and the cramp is still there. I think I need to take this slow. And I know I could run on a treadmill, but that's not what I want. I want to be outside. And if walking is what I can do outside, then walking is what I will do. Due to spending an outrageous amount of money on my "running" shoes, I am putting them away until I am in in fact running. See you soon, my beautiful Saucony ProGrid Triumph 4s!

My plan is to walk a lot, as often as I can, and improve the muscle tone in my legs. Hopefully that will go along with losing weight. I am sure that I will be a runner when I have less of myself to carry around. I am aiming to be running again by our anniversary, July 19. I think it is feasible to lose 25 pounds in that amount of time.

Especially considering the way I have been eating today. I really wish I would have taken food pictures today. I have done so well! I started the day with a Starbucks drink for breakfast. (It's Monday and I didn't want to resist, and I counted it.) Lunch was a peanut butter and banana sandwich and applesauce. I had a mini york patty as a snack. For dinner I had 2 eggbeaters and 1/4 cup 2% cheese in this flatbread stuff (that has a ton of fiber and is really good) and some grape tomatoes. I just had a bowl of Wheat Chex to round out my day. I feel really good about it. But, man, is my left knee-and-below unhappy.

Tomorrow is going to be a great food day. Starting the day with banana and peanut butter wrapped in the flatbread. I'm getting ready to make chicken salad (yummm!) that I'll eat on a bed of spinach. Dinner is still up in the air, but we've got fish here if we decide to cook. I'm very excited. I love the way it feels when I can control my life to the point of being able to control my food choices. I'm a little nervous about being at Nate's Mom's this weekend, but if I need to I can go to the store when we get there. It'll be fine. I just have to think about the running shoes that await me!

I am still reading Judith Beck's The Beck Diet Solution. At this point, I am absolutely loving it. I am too cautious to report that it is life shattering until I work the program for a while. What I really like about it is that it works with any diet, and she is a real therapist who just tweaks the skills we are taught to make them apply to losing weight. I am really enjoying it so far, and am starting to see a change in my thinking. I'll keep you updated as I stick with it.

I just feel so much better than yesterday. Even with the running postponement.

Time to make chicken salad! Have a great night and tomorrow!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that your blog gets me through Professional Responsibility. If it wasn't for my friend posting her running and dieting updates, I don't know if I could make it through class.

As for your running issues, I feel ya. I am trying to run every day, but after a while it just gets old. I had a couple of days that felt like what you were explaining, so I just took a few days off. As for punishing yourself for not running, remember that your feet need to be happy when you are walking also, so maybe you should't put those shoes away too soon.

I am looking forward to my company arriving on Thursday.