Saturday, May 24, 2008

if you want to finish, then you need to start

Leave it to a new Matt Wertz song (I love youtube) to kick me in the butt.

And Half Assed, of course.

I didn't even finish my own challenge. 8 days out of 10 isn't bad. 80%. That's a B. But I am an "A" type of girl. As soon as I gave myself an option out, even if it was when "life happened," I went way downhill. I opted out for several days.

In her amazing book (seriously, go buy it NOW), Jeannette talks about not giving herself a choice. Just making a commitment - the same way you would to a marriage or moving - and stick with it. Don't allow yourself to think any other way except that you are doing it.

That's what I'm trying to do. I'm really trying, you know? But work? Not really my friend. Overlooked for a promotion, only to hear that "no one else bothered to apply." I guess one of my bosses asking me if I would be interested in an "opportunity" and me saying "of course!" does not count as bothering to apply. This AFTER we were told that none of us could get the job because you have to stay in a position for a year to be eligible for promotion. Whatever. All I know is that I didn't get it. And I really don't mind the lady who is getting it. She's nice enough. She'll be fair and appropriate. I'm just frustrated that it's not me.

Anywho, I'm going to try to use my polar thinking to my advantage. I have seen what happens when I don't give myself a choice. I will go the the gym. I will do the Leslie tape. I won't eat mini Reese cups. The 8 days I did the tape, and the 4 days I didn't have Reeses last week has shown me that when I really put my mind to something, I can do it. But I have a tendency to start and do things halfway and then start again and do them almost right and start again because I GET IN MY OWN WAY.

Sigh.

Anywho, there were like 14 of you that joined my 10-day challenge. If I performed my calculations correctly, the last of the joiners should finish up tomorrow. All you need to qualify for the prize is to tell me how you did. I'll pick the winner(s) out of those of you who tell me what it was like, and how many days you lasted. A comment on this post would be sufficient. I'll draw on Tuesday evening, to give any of you vacationers a chance to check in!

Have a GREAT long weekend!

4 comments:

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

I did the same as you -- eight out of ten days I managed to not eat three hours before bed. One day I was out with friends and indulged in a late-night post-beer slice of pizza (that I really didn't want but it was there, ya know?) and the other night I caved to PMS and ate a bowl of cereal right before bed. No one to blame for that one but myself. But I'm still trying to keep up the habit of stopping to think before I reach for those late night snacks!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even manage 8 days, but I still learned a lot from the experience and am planning to restart the challenge, just for my own benefit, this week. That said, I want to thank you for issuing it... even though I didn't make it a full ten days, it was still a very worthwhile thing for me. And it sounds like it was for you and FB too!

j

Katrina said...

yeah, I didn't do so well myself. I think I went to the gym 4 times? Thanks for the encouragement, for the realism.

Sarah P said...

I failed miserably I don't even think I made it but one full day...so please don't include me... I just wanted to let you know I didn't finish. :(

work is very stressful for me right now... (I am losing my job due to outsourcing) so I am letting that beat me down :(