Tuesday, March 18, 2008

lady in red

I've spent the last several minutes trying to post my food journal without success. But it should be up tomorrow!

So I weighed yesterday...at 219.8! Yay! That is my lowest weight in 2008 AND I am in the teens! I am very excited about that! I stayed mostly on plan last week, but had some challenges, mostly in the form of free lunches at work. Today I totally ignored the spread of donuts and bagels at training this morning. I did indulge slightly at lunch today. I got a cafeteria voucher only good for today, and there was nothing that looked good, so I ended up having a lot of salad with 3 chicken fingers and honey mustard dressing. I realize it wasn't a great choice, but I am going to the gym tonight. So I'll take it. It was a great flashback to my typical lunch from my college days.

I am really trying to eat better - more whole and healthy foods. I am REALLY trying to only eat foods with ingredients I can pronounce, with no more than 5 ingredients, and no "hydrogenated."

Thus, after grabbing my favorite condiment to put on my eggs tonight, I am in mourning.I have been a ketchup snob. My mother and I have an ongoing Heinz vs. Hunts battle (almost as epic as the under/over toilet paper debate). I L.O.V.E. ketchup. I do not know how to make that more clear. Heinz ketchup goes on everything.

But it has 7 ingredients, including high fructose corn syrup. I don't know a lot, but I'm pretty sure that's not good for me. And that really sucks.

So I am kissing my ketchup goodbye - for special occassions only. It's not like I eat a lot of things anymore that need ketchup. I don't even know the last time I had it. But it sure is good.

Maybe the Starbucks drink is next...

18 comments:

Caroline said...

I weighed in last night at 219.8 lbs too. Random!

Heather said...

congrats on the new low and the teens!

Cherry Dolphin said...

Congrats on getting in the teens! That's so cool - can't wait till I am there too, but I got a while to go.

My FIL (Father in Law) is a ketchup freak. He'd put it on his ice cream if my MIL would let him!

Anonymous said...

Yay congrats on hitting a new low for 2008 (a happy low, not a low low!). I like how you are sticking to things you can pronounce... your body will love you for it.

Have a great week. :)

Anonymous said...

You know, I read that about ketchup just recently. I NEVER realized how much sugar is in everything. A personal trainer at the gym said that it's not the fat in everything we should be afraid of...it's the darn sugar. We should look for food with 5 grams or less of sugar. I have been drinking my cappuccino drink for years now and it wasn't until a month ago I read the sugar content and it was freaking 12 grams!!!! Whoah! ....Sadly, I gave them up. I have been doing alright, no withdrawals. I just cannot believe I never noticed that before. I think since I've been on WW, I was only concerned with the points and not the ingredients or amount of sugar. Now, I am noticing everything. I'm feeling better, too!
Rhonda

Holly said...

ewwww Ketchup! I am one of those who hates the stuff LOL.

Congrats on your loss! Another milestone under your belt :)

Trisaratops said...

Woo hoo! congratulaions on your new low. High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil's work. And it is everywhere. Here's a tip - anything that is labeled as low-fat - especially dairy products, has been plumped up with sugar. Reading the label is the smartest thing you can do. I think giving up ketchup when you love it is hard too. I wish you luck and strength, and a burning desire for mustard. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your WI.

Canadian Heinz ketchup only has 6 ingredients. HFCS is not one of them (unless that is the same as liquid sugar, I am not sure). Do you have a US bottle? Ketchup does have benefits though, it contains lycopene.
Have a wonderful day

Sarah P said...

Congrats to getting into the teens! That is a huge milestone in my opionion! I think it's a great idea at what your doing with not eating the foods that have things you can not pronounce keep us posted on how that goes. I too L.O.V.E. ketchup it's the best stuff!

Thanks to everyone who leaves comments here- I had NO clue about the 5 grams of less of sugar- you learn something new here everyday! :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you. High fructose corn syrup is EVIL! And you'll probably find that , like so many things that are bad for you, you won't miss it as much after a while.

Fairy Princess said...

219.8 You are AWESOME! Nice job chica!

Unknown said...

Woohoo! That is almost 20 lbs gone. Great job Krissie!

I am a ketchup fanatic too...I try and limit it to special occasions also. Bummer it is so bad for us.

Dottie said...

Congrats on the weight loss and getting into the teens! The 5-ingredient, only those you can pronounce sounds like a pretty good idea...maybe I should look into it. Have a great week!!

Anonymous said...

i have a good friend who makes her own ketchup! she said it is really easy and she has played with the recipe to make it exactly what she wants! i think she just found a recipe online and then went to work. congrats on the teens!

lainb said...

I put ketchup on a TON of stuff too! And I also stopped buying most products with "hydrogentated" and "high fructose" (by the way can you believe some canned beans contain high fructose corn syrup?? disgusting!). Anyway, getting back to ketchup, there's some pretty good organic ketchups on the market now...with easy-to-pronounce natural ingredients.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Ah, my sister in ketchup! I, too, am a Heinz Girl, and have the running debate with my family over Hunt's (or worse, Del Monte--ick!) I don't really eat anything these days that goes with ketchup, thank goodness!

Congrats on being in your teens again!

Hanlie said...

Well done on the weight loss and the label reading!

Anonymous said...

You're doing fantastic. I didn't really pay attention to the Ketchup battles until I started dating my husband. He's a big Heinz fan too. I keep meaning to try making my own, but never seem to get around to it.

Keep up the great work.