Tuesday, February 26, 2008

you say it's your birthday...

Today is not my birthday, it's the first birthday of Questions for Dessert!

I am so amazed that I have actually been writing for a year - and even more amazed that such wonderful people read my ramblings and then provide such warm comments!

I really wanted to have something insightful/creative/celebratory for the big day, but I am still very much under the weather. I feel a ton better than I have, but I'm still getting ready to take a nap at 5pm. So, with a retrospective post in the near future, I will repost my very first post.


So this is it...I will be an "after." I am tired of being a "before." I look at all the magazines and feel terrible because the before picture looks just like me, and the after picture looks like something I can never attain. But I watched an episode of Oprah recently that discussed how changing the way I talk to myself can change the results I get. The show talked about how acting like I am already there (wherever I want to be) will help get me there. So today (as of this minute, forgetting even this morning), I am different.

  • I am a runner. My "run" last Friday at the park was hard, but great. And only a runner could finish that. (I delete comment that could be negative...)
  • I am respectful to my body. I am eating foods that my body will use as fuel. I am eating in a way that is not harmful to my body and that is preserving the body I have been given. I do not hurl insults at my body and I do not berate it for not looking the way I feel it should.
  • I am honest. I do not lie to myself about what I eat. I do not (to quote Izzy from Grey's) believe that if I eat a whole tub of butter and no one sees me, the calories do not count. I am writing down what I eat, even when it is ugly, and seeing mistakes as chances to learn and grow. It's about time I started using my counseling skills on myself, right?

So that's where I'm starting. Today. I am an after.


And I'm still working on this. Every day.

10 comments:

Kim said...

You are doing an amazing job and I am really really proud of you!!! :)

Heather said...

happy birthday to your blog! its alwyas fun (and really eye opening too) to visit your first posts and realize how far you have come. wayt o go!

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

Here's to the first of many wonderful blog birthdays!

Now go get some rest and feel better! That's an order.

*Christie* said...

Whooo hooo!!! With IE, I am becoming an advocate for body acceptance... accepting and loving yourself will change everything!

Here's to being an after! :)

Hanlie said...

Happy blogiversary! Great post!

A Heathier Me said...

I've been reading your blog for a while. Happy Blog Birthday!!

Fairy Princess said...

Happy AFTER! You are an awesome inspiration to all that read you!

Marianna said...

I earnestly enjoy reading your entries and I'm so glad I came across your blog! Best wishes as you continue on your journey...

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogday to you!! Here's to becoming an "after" and staying an "after"!!! I enjoy reading your blog. You have such a good outlook on weight loss and life in general. Best of luck and Keep on Keepin' on, sister!

Suz said...

Happy B-day to your blog! I hope you get well soon. Way to go on your awesome weight loss since the beginning of the year. You are doing great and inspiring me!