Sunday, April 29, 2007

and I'm thrilled to let you in...

Hello all. I'm still not feeling well. I am full of snot and coughs and I have a new strange pain in my left knee. Can my knee hurt from laying around on the couch? I guess so.

I haven't eaten all that well, but that's what happens when we spend the weekend with our parents. Yesterday was not bad: starbucks (venti iced decaf nonfat white mocha) and banana; point-friendly chicken salad sandwich; chicken, green beans, and roasted potatoes; a handful of tortilla chips; my dad's homemade frozen coffee (with non-fat ice cream); and a Fiber 1 bar. Today: starbucks, bowl of frosted flakes; beef and noodles (light on the beef) and peas; Iced Cappuccino from Tim Hortons; bowl of wonton soup. I need to count up the points. I'm sure I'll do that tomorrow 'cause I'll probably be home sick. I hate using sick days when I am really sick. Boo sick.

However, this time has allowed me to catch up on my reading. Blog reading, to be precise. I always need some more blogs to read, and I'm excited to share some of my favorites today with you. If you need some good reads, just follow the links.

I LOVE PastaQueen's Half of Me. I have been aching to link you to all to her opinions on an interview with Drew Barrymore in the latest People. I am so excited to hear that a celebrity has honest things to say about beauty and health. A few quotes from Ms Barrymore:

“I just think happiness is what makes you pretty. Period,” she tells the magazine. “Happy people are beautiful. They become like a mirror, and they reflect that happiness."

When do you feel most beautiful? "Right after I've worked out and I'm sweating all over the place and my face is two different colors of white and red and my hair is half wet, half dry and I look like I'm about to have a heart attack. I feel like I've changed the shape of my body temporarily into something more flexible and strong."

I love her thoughts. I love that she has to work hard at the gym. What I don't love is that a famous person has a healthier self-ideal than I do. Ms Barrymore has taught me that I have a lot of work to do. And I want to thank PastaQueen for bringing it to my attention. I often avoid tabloid magazines because they make me feel crappy. I should have picked up this one.

I also read something on the Pudge Budge that really hit me in the face.

Remember that something is always better than nothing. Even if you intended to walk 20 minutes, a 10-minute walk is still vastly better for you than doing nothing.

One of my biggest struggles is my polar thinking. I'm all or nothing. Either I go full force and count every bite that goes into my mouth or I go food crazy. Either I go to the gym and work out for an hour, or I don't go at all. She reminded me today that something is better than nothing. Thanks for that reminder.

Then I spent a while surfing, and came across some very cool things. The first is this challenge by Adventures in Babywearing to post pics without makeup. It is brilliant. I think we could all benefit from being brutally honest about who we are. So that's my plan in the morning. After the shower. I just can't handle it tonight.

And, from there, I came upon this awesome poem at Amy's Blog, and I had to share it with you.


Christians
By Maya Angelou

When I say… “I am a Christian”
I’m not shouting “I’m clean livin’.”
I’m whispering “I was lost,
Now I’m found and forgiven.”
When I say… “I am a Christian”
I don’t speak of this with pride.
I’m confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.
When I say… “I am a Christian”
I’m not trying to be strong.
I’m professing that I’m weak
And need His strength to carry on.
When I say… “I am a Christian”
I’m not bragging of success.
I’m admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.
When I say… “I am a Christian”
I’m not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.
When I say… “I am a Christian”
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.
When I say… “I am a Christian”
I’m not holier than thou,
I’m just a simple sinner
Who received God’s good grace, somehow


And I don't know what to say about MetaMorphose's blog, except she totally rocks. I am almost obesessed with it. Read it and read it all.

So when I don't have much to say for myself, I just point you to others who inspire and entertain me!

Have a great night and don't get a cold!!

2 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

So glad you want to play along!!

Steph

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

I got to meet Maya Angelou last spring, when she came to my college campus to give a reading. She is, without a doubt, one of the coolest women I have ever met in my whole life.

And I'm with you on the polarity of the exercise thing. I'm all or nothing and it's proving to be a challenge.

FEEL BETTER!